Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Have You Ever Fallen?

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord and he delighteth in His way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with His hand" (Psalm 37:23 & 24).

Have you ever fallen?  Of course you have!  You did so a lot when you were learning to walk.  Just ask your parents.  You've all very likely also fallen a few times after being full-grown and how embarrassing that is!  Some of us will remember the low budget ad from the early eighties with the memorable line, "I've fallen and I can't get up."

We've also fallen spiritually; all of us.  The Apostle James says, "We all stumble in many ways" (3:2).  Sometimes we fall "big time", but more commonly in the "small ways". The seasoned Christian pilgrim recognizes spiritual bruises from plummeting falls.  The persevering believer has a testimony of overcoming falls.

I liken my Christian journey to hiking through the heavily wooded forest.  Because of the uneven terrain, the extensive tree roots, rocks and underused trails, I often stumble and might even occasionally fall.  I can linger in a fallen position or I can choose to get up, brush off the debris, and trudge on. And when I'm unaware of what made me fall I need to examine the terrain and see what obstacle I stumbled over. That's a good lesson for the Christian life.

In the latter part of the daily text the Psalmist acknowledges that the godly man falls, but gives us two great promises.

  1. "He shall not be utterly cast down."  Thank God that we have no excuse for staying down after we fall.  God has promised that we will not "be utterly cast down.
  2. "The Lord upholdeth him with His hand."  Grip hold of that truth today, believing friend. The immutable God continues to uphold His children. What an assuring promise.

Have you goofed up, messed up, or even blown it big time?  Perhaps this is even your condition as you read this today. Call on the Name of the Mighty God of the universe.  He will come and save you.  We simply have no reason for saying, "I've fallen, and I can't get up."

This morning's song is Faithful One by Brian Doerksen

Faithful One, so unchanging,
Ageless One, You're my Rock of peace.
Lord of all I depend on You;
I call out to You again and again.

You are my Rock in times of trouble.
You lift me up when I fall down.
All through the storm Your love is the anchor;
My hope is in You alone.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment