Monday, December 12, 2011

Third Sunday of Advent

Third Sunday of Advent

Reading: Grab your bible and read: Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11

Reflection: This wonderful prophecy of restoration was claimed by Jesus as the mandate for his ministry. It is a rich picture of liberation, upliftment, care for the earth and justice for all. It may be tempting to over-spiritualize this prophecy, and Jesus’ use of it, but that would be to misread both Isaiah and Jesus. The Reign of God which Jesus preached and lived, is not only about getting our internal worlds right with God. It is also about getting our world right according to Gods dream for justice and love. And, when we begin to live according to Gods dream, we experience a joy and vibrancy like that of a couple on their wedding day!

In what ways do you see Jesus living up to this dream in his own life and ministry? How does this view of Jesus’ mission change your understanding of who Jesus was and what he came to do? As we draw closer to the celebration of Christmas, how does this vision change your view of this important day?

In your own life, how can you follow Jesus in this work of bringing freedom, restoration and joy to others? How have you experienced GodΚΌs liberating work in your own life? What one small liberating thing can you do for someone else today?

Prayer:

O God,

When I think about the struggles and injustices in the world it all feels so overwhelming. It’s exciting to think that Jesus came to bring love and justice to our world, but when I recognized that you call me to follow Jesus, and that this means I must share in this liberating work, it gets very scary. But, I can share in your work. I may not be able to change the world, but I can change my heart. I can make a difference in the lives of my loved ones, my neighbors, my friends. Help me, Jesus, to take every opportunity I get to be a channel of love and justice today. Amen.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment